Sunday, November 22, 2009

Replaced sewage Y valve and etc.

I make a point to excercise all the various valves on Aeolus fairly often, just as matter of routine. I went to do this to the Y valve that controls the flow of sewage and the handle cracked. I am certain it is orginal to the boat and is also made of a plastic wtihout reinforcement. No surprise it's day had come.

I replaced it with the new Jabsco model which seems beefier and I hope to get 20 years out of this one too.

Let me say, replacing hoses on the sewage system is a true test of will. Although I have taken to using tank treatment, it is still a nasty proposition. Most of the hoses around this system have been replaced and upgraded with better stuff, but as you can see in this picture, the main supply hose from the head itself to the Y valve is still original and fairly thin walled. I've ordered the new hose to replace it too.



While on Aeolus I topped off all my wet cell batteries with distilled water. My house batteries took the most at about 1/4 cup each. None were too low, but low enough to need water. It had been about 6 months or so since I last checked them. I've been very happy with my batteries, which are now three years old. Trojans. I describe them in an earlier post. They get a lot of use, and are always quick to charge and hold their voltage very well.


No comments: