Sunday, August 2, 2015

Delivery trip to Cortes Island: 152 miles in 2.5 days

I've just returned home from delivering Aeolus up to Cortes Island, British Columbia. A trip I've done several times now, and it never fails to thrill me.

The itinerary I followed was to depart Anacortes on Thursday night, making it to Blind Bay, Shaw Island. Friday morning saw me moving by 6am and I made it to Dodd Narrows with some time before slack so got in a quick swim at lovely DeCourcy Island. Spent that night in Nanaimo at Newcastle Island. Saturday I departed at 6am and powered all the way to Hernando Island right up the gut of the Strait of Georgia,   taking until 8pm to finally drop anchor. This morning, I did the short jaunt from Hernando to Cortes and Gorge Harbour.

Since it was a delivery trip I motored the entire way, especially since the winds were NW and tacking would have doubled my time. I had fairly benign conditions on this trip, with only some rough stretches leaving Nanaimo into a 20 knot NW wind that soon dissipated. That 3 knot SOG would have been brutal if it continued, not to mention the pounding into 3-4 foot seas. Later that day the whole sea was a mill pond off Texada and Sisters Islets.

No drama on this trip. Lots of time to reflect on what matters in my life, and how precious this time on Aeolus truly is. It is a sailing and exploring paradise up there and I only wish I could spend 6 months there at a time!

Here are a few photos:
Moonrise Thursday night was stunning
















A happy sailor who got a quick swim before Dodd Narrows! 




















A typical flat sea, deathly hot and not another soul. An amazing lack of other boats or humans on the Strait of Georgia. People staying in the city, staying away by the millions!

Approaching Gorge Harbour on Cortes Island. A lovely entry into a wonderful spot. 

No comments: