Monday, February 6, 2017

Corroded Shift Arm on MG 360-No help from Mill Log or Twin Disc

Here is a photo of the rusted and corroded shift arm on the MG 360 Twin Disc I have had in for only 3 years. My prior tranny was a Hurth, in this same spot for nearly 30 years and looked spotless when I removed it. A serious design and manufacturing flaw by Twin Disc to build a marine transmission that in normal conditions would corrode so badly. I contacted Mill Log Marine, our local Twin Disc dealer here in WA, and was told not only is there no recall, or replacement program, but that the same model is $67 if you are lucky enough to find one! Appalling.

I will be having to haul out my engine and tranny for cleaning anyway, and will remove this shift arm, clean it, see how much is left, and paint it with some good corrosion resistant paint. What a pain.

2 comments:

A Merchant Mariner said...

I use ospho on all steel to stop corrosion and convert the rust to primer (I've had much better luck with it than corroseal). I then coat it with zinc chromate primer before painting. Afraid there is no such powerful magic for the mating surfaces... although I am particular to lanolin for galvanic isolation, so maybe that might be worth a try.

Neil said...

How's the gearbox doing (apart from the rust).
Is it behaving itself ? What sort of mileage does it have on it now ?
Great blog, by the way..��