Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Haul out coming up

Well it's been about two years and it's time to haul her out again. We are heading  up to Desolation Sound again this summer, hallelujah, and I want that clean hull and prop to squeak every tenth of a knot out of her. I'll be hauling in Port Townsend again because they remain about the only yard that allows you to paint your own boat, and having paid someone else to do it once or twice, there is just no comparison to the care I put into it. Not to mention it galling me to pay someone else to do such a simple thing.

My only other big project this year will be pulling the engine out again. I want to clean off the engine itself and need to remove the Twin Disc transmission and clean and paint the damn thing. See my other posts on the corrosion problems and poor construction quality of the Twin Disc with regard to metals used.

If you know this blog and want to say hello, come on by Port Townsend boat yard and look me up next week. I'll be the guy dressed like a hobo looking really happy to be working on his boat.

Reef Harbor has the best sunsets in the Salish Sea, as the fetch to the north provides the illusion of an open ocean setting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Brian, have read just about every post made. Fodder for my dreams and I thank you for all the time and effort you put into it.

When you say "next week" does that mean this weekend? I'll be out on my bike and would love to stop by and say hi.

Scott

Brian W. said...

Hey Scott,
Always glad to hear this blog is of some use to people, especially to feed dreams! I've met the most interesting people all over the Salish Sea, who when they realize it is Aeolus and me, will say they "know" me from the blog.

Anyway, I'm heading up to Friday Harbor in the morning and will play the weather game on which day I cross the Straits down the Port Townsend. As you know, it can be blowing 30-40 or 5-10 on the same day. And who wants to catch an ebb current out of Admiralty Inlet against 30 knots of Westerly? Not this sailor.

I know I'll be working on the boat during the day after Tuesday of next week. If you live in the area or just happen to be around, you'll spot Aeolus in the haul out zone!

Cheers