Sunday, November 8, 2009

New boom topping lift

The last wire on Aeolus that had not been replaced was the boom topping lift. It's been on my mind for a while as it showed some obvious signs of corrosion, and is 20 years old. I bought some Amsteel as a replacement for the opportunity to try it out and use a lighter line. As most know, this stuff is stronger than steel, doesn't stretch, resists UV fine and is super lightweight.

This weekend I have made the switch. Splicing the small diameter Amsteel is not possible by the recommended full bury method of the larger stuff. I looked around and found a method that is fine for this low load smaller line where you just weave it into and out of itself for a while.

Nice to have this done and not worry about a catastrophic failure of my boom topping lift while I am trying to reef my mainsail or powering into rough seas with my main down and relying on the tension between the topping lift and the mainsheet to hold that boom still.

No comments: