Friday, November 13, 2009

Upgrade to AC system

Aeolus is typical of production boats of it's generation in that it has an occasionally adequate and occasionally abysmal electrical system. I've already documented here my many upgrades to the DC system to compensate for inadequate breakers, fusing and connections. Now that I comfortable with my DC systems being in close compliance with ABYC standards I am turning my attention to the AC system.



Long ago I changed all my outlets to GFCI to provide protection for shock. Now I am getting around to protecting the system from fire hazard and other catastrophic shorting problems. Based on what I have learned from the various reference books on boat electrical systems I have come to recogize a serious fault in the AC system as it is currently installed. There is no breaker of any sort between the shore power and the distribution panel, and the distribution panel has a breaker that is single pole and rated at 37 amps! There are several problems with this, including that any short in the line between the shore power and that "breaker" would be unprotected. Codes call for there being a breaker within 10 wire feet of the shore power plug. Another problem is that the outlets are all 15 amps and the wire is rated for about 15 amps. Any breaker above 15 amps is not providing protection to the outlets or the wire itself. Like the old saying goes, you have to fuse systems for the weakest link in the system.


For all these reasons I am glad to be installing a nice waterproof breaker box right next to the shore power plug. I found one that is by Square D and is used for around hot tubs and other outdoor uses. It is made of plastic, and so doesn't corrode. Although it will be installed inside the hull space, it is certainly a high humidity and potential splash environment. The breaker is a double pole breaker. As Don Casey says:
"Although single pole breakers are commonly used for branch circuits, this is risky economy. Double pole breakers, which open both sides of the circuit when tripped, fuly protect the circuit even if the polarity is reversed. Perhaps YOU will never forget to check polarity before plugging in, but I'M not that confident."


Inside the box is a 15 amp double pole breaker.

Between this upgrade, the quality of my wire and connections, and the GFCI outlets, I am about as safe as possible from problems.

Yet another thing ticked off the list.

No comments: