Friday, December 24, 2010

Excited about journey north December 26th

Here it is Christmas Eve, and my thoughts turn back and forth from the holiday and my boys to my upcoming trip north on Aeolus. The day after Christmas I will hop aboard that trusty boat and captain her back to her home waters in the San Juan Islands.

The forecast is for S to SE winds in the middle range of 10-25 knots. Should be perfect for a trip north. I'll go first to Port Townsend and spend the night, which is only 30 miles from Bainbridge, and from there hop over to the islands either via Rosario Strait and Lopez or straight up San Juan Channel. It depends in part on my appetite to wake up and catch the pre-dawn flood, and the amount and direction of wind.The total journey is about 60 miles and I will split it over two days this time of year. The current is ebbing most all day Sunday, which along with a south wind should mean I do a hearty 7-8 knots to Port Townsend. Quick trip. Looking forward to a night in that fun town.

It will be great to be out, to be away, to journey, to feel the wind, to be in the wilderness of the sea, to inhabit the wilderness of me, and to simply be upon our boat.

Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas to all!

No comments: