Saturday, December 25, 2010

Worsening forecast threatens trip

Well, damn. The pleasant forecast of winds SE 15-25 has now changed to a forecast of SE 25-35. Sailors know that the force of the wind does not grow in a linear fashion, but in fact relates to the cube of the velocity. Meaning, 30 knots of wind is not twice as forceful as 15 knots, but about 9 times more forceful. Practically speaking, having sailed in winds up to 40 knots, there is no comparison between winds of 25 or less and winds of 30 or more. Especially in the open waters of the Straits of Juan de Fuca.

If this forecast holds through tonight, I will not be heading north tomorrow after all. No need to suffer that much. My Gulf is as seaworthy and solid as a 32 foot boat can be, but I have seen the steep seas that kick up in the Straits with winds over 30 knots and it is pretty rough.

I'd go the Swinomish channel route except it is too far from Bainbridge to a decent anchorage like Deception Pass to make it in one day. That area is rather tight to sail at night without more local knowledge than my few trips would provide. Plus it is just way more fun and beautiful to go the Port Townsend/Smith Island route.

Anyway, I'll have to check my calendar for the next attempt and spend the next few days doing something else like go for some long hikes. 

No comments: