Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Replaced old compass with RAM mount for iPhone

Our old compass at the inside steering station was clouded and rather useless. As I have come to enjoy my Navionics navigation app on my iPhone as a reliable back up to my chartplotter, I decided to mount a RAM system in the same place.

It looks fine, and works perfectly. Now, when I am steering from inside, I don't have to look back at my chartplotter through the companionway doors. I can rely on the phone app which has the same functionality.
Works great! Will probably replace the wooden disc with teak when I am next around a source for it.

1 comment:

A Merchant Mariner said...

Great upgrade! I've verified my copy against ECDIS systems on ships (paperless charting as part of ARPA system) and I could drive a ship with it...