Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Haul out starting off well

My trip from Friday Harbor to Port Townsend was as easy as it gets in summer. Every day before and since has been blowing 20-30, but on that Friday last I had no wind and flat seas. It's a six hour trip at five to six knots. And beautiful beyond belief. There were several moments when I was in the middle of the Straits when I just melted with appreciation for where I was. One way the Olympics, the other Mt. Baker, over there Whidbey, and yonder is Vancouver Island, and just to the back is Lopez, San Juan and the rest. When you are in the middle of the Straits, the view from there encompasses three national parks and stunning varieties of grandeur.
Smith Island with Olympics in the background. I weep at the stunning beauty of this spot in the Straits. 

I've managed to clean off my prop using the paper towel soaked in vinegar method to soften things up, and applied the first coat of bottom paint. I'm really pleased with both the paint and my last job of doing it as I had very few spots that needed scraping and no hard growth anywhere.
They always look so sad on the hard

On this haul I am also replacing my cockpit scuppers with proper units with the built in screen so I don't have to worry about crap plugging up my lines anymore. And I am pulling out the diesel tomorrow for cleaning and to do the work cleaning and painting the transmission as I've mentioned before. If time permits, I am also going to paint my boot stripe.

It's great to be among the eclectic characters in Port Townsend. It is such a mix of humanity, though they mostly all look slovenly.

3 comments:

Bass said...

Unlike most other boats I think the Gulf 32s look good even on the hard... but then, I'm biased!

Please post some pictures of your scupper upgrade, that is (buried somewhere) on my list.

- Bass

Brian W. said...

Will do Bass. I'm pleased with the end result. I'd never been happy with the old system of glassed in scuppers as it was really hard to get a stiff hose to clamp onto them securely. There was another boat hauled in the yard by Bill Garden, and you would have known it if you didn't already know. It was a Vagabond 47. The same faux wood lines, and keel/hull shape. A teak palace.

Bass said...

The Garden boats are distinctive for sure... there are many boats I can't quite place but I feel every time I see a Rawson or Formosa or Saturna/Truant is jumps right out at me! I have to say, I'm glad I don't have a giant bowsprit like the Vagabond, wow!!