Friday, February 22, 2019

Finally a good solution to a stinky head

Like most, I suppose I have struggled more with the smell of the head on my boat more than I would ever wish to do. We deodorize our holding tank with an additive, so that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the ever present slight smell of urine and dead saltwater organisms. Don't get me wrong, we keep a CLEAN head.

For years, I have kept one of those simple pop up air fresheners in the head, to diminish the odor and make it more pleasant. Having been aboard a small marina worth of other boats, I can say for certain that this is a ubiquitous problem.

So my new happy solution? You may have noticed, gentlemen, recently, that all our public urinals now use these little textured plastic looking things that you pee onto. I was noticing that now all these public urinals have a more pleasant, albeit chemical, smell. Because my brain is old and filled with cobwebs, I didn't immediately see the application to Aeolus. But then I did.

I got online and found just what I was looking for.
 
Now you may think I'm crazy, but I attached a bit of electrical cable to one of these and placed into the bowl of my head. My wife was dubious. I said, "Give it a chance honey". Well it has been a good six months now, and I'll be damned if our head doesn't ALWAYS smell just dandy! Even when I am doing my business, it smells fine, and the lack of air circulation in the head doesn't make it smell gross. If you need to do something that is incompatible with having this thing in your bowl, it is easy to remove and place in the sink. It will have been washed over by saltwater after the prior use, so it is clean of urine.

You are either thinking I am crazy, and a fool, or wondering why you hadn't already thought of this. I'll take a 100:1 ratio of these reader reactions and still be happy I wrote about it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Electrical cable? For cheap thrill shock value? Easy removal? Mystery battery charging from urine breakdown?

Please tell us. Inquiring minds want to know !


Brian W. said...

Ha! I expected someone to comment on this. It's the most DIY thing I had around. Needed it to be easy to grab, and preferably stiff enough to stay where you put it and not flop around. I've pondered better, more "normal" or elegant solutions, and have not come up with anything that works as well. I'm very open to suggestions...

Unknown said...

Hi there. Not all of us are gentlemen out here. What is this blue textured thing called and where do you get it??
Thanks.

Brian W. said...

They go by various names, and I'm not a toilet engineer, but you can find them on Amazon under urinal deodorizer. There are certainly other ways, and maybe preferable ways, to solve the odor problem in your head, but for now, this one is easy for me and works well. I discovered people on forums have very intense and almost proprietary views on how one should keep their heads smelling nice. For myself, I think in this order: 1. Clean head good. 2. Fresh smelling head good 3. Fresh smelling head with little expense or trouble is good. If you meet all three, who cares how!

Dennis said...

We had a small fresh water tank in our Catalina 27 so I built a new one, 30 gal,and decided rather than remove the old one I bypassed the saltwater feed to the head and connected the old water tank. Two plusses from this; one, the water tank is usually empty at the time the black tank needs pumped and two, no smell in the head in over two years, well you know except when...