Thursday, May 20, 2010

Aeolus is now at Bainbridge Island

My new work has kept me away from this blog longer than I would like but such is life. Just this last week I moved Aeolus from Shilshole Marina over to Bainbridge Island because after a look around Seattle for our new home, we are going to give Bainbridge a good try. Finding a new neighborhood is a bit like choosing clothing. Some look good, some don't, some you try on, and then decide they look bad, and others you try on, and purchase. We are in the "try on" stage with Bainbridge and so have moved Aeolus there as the advanced guard.

I've been out sailing a few times recently, both to bring her over and just to get out one day. Even though my work is keeping me busy these days, I'll soon be back to boat projects and trips and will continue this blog for all it has ever been: fun for me, fun for my family, and perhaps useful to a few fellow sailors.

6 comments:

Skydiver1950 said...

I am seriously considering and offer on (third look) at a 1980 Gulf 32 nearby that has no interior steering. You seem to really enjoy these vessels (I had a 29 gulf in AK, Seward) and enjoyed the wheel inside. As all 32's no matter what the year look nearly identical inside - would it be fairly safe to assume that one can retrofit the interior steering and if so can you tell me where the gear to replicate the podium etc can be found. If you can - I would appreciate it very much. John Koman/ Ventura California

Skydiver1950 said...

Johnkoman@msn.com

Skydiver1950 said...

please do not publish my email address. Too much spam - thanks

crossbowme said...

Very interesting blog. I will be buying a boat to take me from Maine up to Labrador or even Greenland. I hope to buy a boat next year. Thought about Allied Seawind II or a Westsail but concerned about exposure to the cold. I have owned boats up to 41' but want something that one person can sail. The G32 seems perfect and your blog answers many of my questions.

Brian W. said...

Hi Sky diver,
The machinery for the inside wheel is rather complex in my estimation. There are parts of it that connect back at the rudder shaft and then the cables that run to the inside station. The podium itself is just wood work, but that can still be tough. The mechanism is...Morse, I think. Good luck. I would consider that a major project. I love my inside steering on Aeolus.

And crossbow, glad the site has been helpful. Good luck in your search.

Unknown said...

I can see why you're loathe to sell Aeolus. She appears to be seaworthy and attended to by someone who cares. A good combination.
I'm building a home for a client on the south end of Bainbridge and would appreciate seeing more of her if you ever have the time and our schedules coincide.

John@PacificCedarHomes.com