Sunday, February 27, 2011

Snowy trip to Jones, cozy times on Aeolus

We took a trip to Jones Island this weekend when absolutely everyone else seemed to be cuddled up inside in front of a fire. The weather has been snowy and very cold (for the Salish Sea) and yet we knew how much fun there is to have on Aeolus in any conditions.

A strong south wind pushed us north on Saturday morning, and we tucked into the north cove to have the entire island, once again, all to ourselves. It was about 31 degrees and sleeting.

We hiked around the west side, seeing amazing sights you just don't see in July. There was exquisite hoar frost that fascinated us for a long time, and ice along the shore rocks that was just amazing. We had a fire back at the north cove and enjoyed that for several hours. Caveman TV.

The night on Aeolus was warm and cozy. The Force 10 kerosene heater keeps it right around 65 degrees, which is plenty given the outside temperature. I was reminded of a Frost poem about a winter storm being properly defied by a window. Outside it was cold and nasty, inside it was snug and happy. People read books, and played cards, and ate good food. What's not to love about that?

The trip back to Friday Harbor on Sunday was uneventful. We motored both ways this trip as the weather made sailing unpleasant. The pilothouse is such a blessing! Warm and safe.

A winter trip in about the worst conditions the Salish Sea ever gets, and still we had a fantastic and adventurous and wondrous time. We know we must be freaks of some sort, given how people stay home by the millions, but it feels right as rain to us.

The good ship Aeolus carried us to yet another island adventure we couldn't have otherwise.

4 comments:

T Minski said...

Hi Brian,

Thanks for being you, doing what you do, and sharing some of it on your blog. This post brings back a lot of good memories of some of my best times in nature in "bad" weather. Everyone's at home, and I have it all to myself... a delicious little secret.

I found your blog when figuring out how to replace the windows on my Gulf 29.

http://home.earthlink.net/~g29
http://tminski.blogspot.com

Thank you, sir.
Tim

Brian W. said...

Hey Tim,
Nice to hear from you and thank you too. Been thinking about my grandmother recently, and the example she set for me about being a positive presence in the world. Makes me happy that this blog has done even a little to help someone.

Winter trips are not unlike all trips in that you just have to overcome the million voices crying for comfort that only stupefy us. Never once, not once, ever, have I regretted going on any outdoor trip. How many thousands of days have I regretted being stuck at school or work or sitting on my ass at home because I lacked the clarity to go. Even me! Spirit Boggling. Just go, I tell myself, Just go, and all my lazy comfort seeking demons cry to stay. Go anyway, and the world celebrates with you.

Seems you sail in Florida, now that is quite a change from here in the NW. Your 29 must be nice and zippy for those waters.

Best wishes for your projects and nice to make your equaintance.

T Minski said...

Wow. Hey, so time has passed, things have changed, and we were in Friday Harbor last weekend when I recalled that you had your boat there for awhile. Looks like you're still rolling with your blog. Nice! We've moved to PNW and are settling in to the Olympia area. I'm doing my best to avoid buying another boat... but here I am looking at your boat.

Fair winds,
tim

Brian W. said...

Welcome to the PNW! Yes, we are still out all the time on Aeolus. Just doesn't get old. Greatest love of my non-family life, I would have to say. If I had to give up any outdoor activity, I could least bare parting with cruising the Salish Sea aboard Aeolus.

I've had her just long enough now, since 2006, that I am having to go back and replace things I did in the beginning. I'm tackling all my running rigging right now, for example. Love splicing!