Monday, May 23, 2011

A Stuart Island get away, far away.

Last week I had the opportunity to get away for a few days to tackle some boat projects, and since none of the projects required electricity, I was able to cast off the dock lines and set sail to wilder places. The weather finally turned warm and sunny, and so I was ecstatic to have time on Aeolus in a beautiful place and a taste of summer.

Decided to go to Stuart (not that any reason is needed) because the forecast winds were shifting from north to south and neither anchorage on Jones provides all weather protection. Where Reid and Prevost both are virtual hurricane holes. I went to Reid. 

The projects I tackled included:
  • New engine intake hoses. Upgraded all related hoses to wire reinforced hose from standard water hose. Better flow in tight bends and durability/strength in a high impact area.
  • New septic hoses in a few places. 
  • New sink drain hose. Upgrade from standard water hose to reinforced septic hose. Primary reason here was to keep good flow despite a tight bend, where the water hose would kink a bit, and the septic hose maintains it's shape. 
  • Excavate, clean and scrub the starboard settee locker. Yikes. 
  • Clean the fiberglass around the bilge area with Soft Scrub-my favorite cleaner on the boat for really dirty things. Went through many rags wiping old oil and dirt from the area around the engine. 
  • Did new varnish on my bright work grab rails. 
  • Miscellaneous other cleaning of brass, glass, floors and such. 
Photo on Stuart from previous trip. On this trip, this spot was all green with exploding growth, and I had it to myself.



But when tackling the above with a happy relish, I took a few hours each day to go for a long run.  The first day I ran out to the lighthouse and looked around a while at the frothing flood of water and wild things galore, and on the way back I detoured out to the county dock near the old Ericson farm before getting back to Aeolus. Everything on Stuart is in full grow mode. Heaven.

The next day I ran up to the top of a different mountain, and enjoyed my favorite views from anywhere in the San Juans. Hot sun, astounding views, and that resonant smell of heated grass, fully intoxicated my senses. Wow, wow, wow. I leave part of my soul there every time I visit, and yet grow my soul as a result.

There are few things more wonderful that a day of good solid meaningful work, and a solid dose of exercise in wilderness. Running quiets the mind and enthuses the body, allowing a better appreciation of all the beauty a wild place like Stuart has to offer. I missed my family in spades, but it was great to get away for a few days in this far NW corner of this great NW state.

No comments: