Saturday, June 18, 2011

Finished with new foam in cushions

For about a year now I have been slowly working on placing new foam into all the cushions aboard Aeolus, and it is certainly high among the most worthwhile projects I have undertaken. At least from a comfort point of view. The old cushions were pretty dead, where when you sat on them your butt sank quickly and firmly down to the bottom of the bench and after a short period of time you had to shift around to avoid bruising!

I first tackled the cushion at the navigation and instrumentation table as I sat there constantly and it was dreadfully uncomfortable. Next I did all the foam in the starboard berth as this is where my wife and I usually sleep.



Just this week I finally replaced the foam in the port cushion.

I have not tackled the foam in the Vberth and have no immediate plans to do so because only our kids ever sleep up there and they are too light and young to care.

Replacing the foam is not particularly hard, but I have learned a few tricks. I have found using a sharp fishing knife to be the easiest way to cut the foam, given my lack of a fancy foam cutter. I even purchased a reciprocating meat knife for the purpose and it didn't work nearly as well as a standard filet knife. Getting the new foam into the upholstery is a bit tricky but not insurmountable. Replacing the buttons is fun and simple with a hand needle and some strong thread.

The foam I have used is a very firm Lux blue foam that I got from the Foam Factory in the midwest somewhere. Good service and OK prices.

It makes such a difference in the boat to have cushions that are nice and firm for sitting and sleeping. Another project completed.

No comments: