Thursday, August 18, 2011

A series of posts on nearly three weeks of sailing in the northern Salish Sea

I've just returned from nearly three weeks of sailing in British Columbia and have so many tales to tell and photos to post that I am going to do it as separate posts based on islands and anchorages. In overview, my boys and I were joined by some Bainbridge friends to sail Aeolus from Friday Harbor up through the familiar Gulf Islands across the Strait of Georgia to Lund on the northern Sunshine Coast. Those friends left, and Amy and some other friends came up from the Bay Area and we all spent a week cruising around Desolation Sound. Returning to Lund, I dropped everyone off and sailed Aeolus back to Friday Harbor by myself.
The Windrope boys on top of Jedidiah Island's highest peak

It was a profound and adventurous exploration of the northern Salish Sea, and we are all still walking on water with the memories of it. 

In total the trip was nearly 400 miles and I am happy to report that Aeolus had no mechanical problems of any sort! The weather was hot and sunny, the salt and fresh water swimming was out of this world and the good times with friends were priceless.

No comments: