Monday, July 5, 2021

Prophylactic maintenance-New alternator

Part of owning a boat long term is replacing things you've already replaced. One could be very systematic about this, and I can easily imagine my more OCD friends having spreadsheets with installation dates and expected life expectancy. But in my case, I have a mind that constantly monitors all the systems in my boat with such frequency that I haven't found it necessary to be more codified about it. It's like a memory palace, or a well traveled path, I mentally walk every nook and cranny of Aeolus in a casual way most every time I'm aboard. It's pleasant.

What are the systems? When did I last inspect? Does it need lubrication? Corrosion protection? Replacement? 

It was thinking like this that had me wondering about my alternator. I know they fail eventually on cars, and I've had my current one on Aeolus since about 2008. So I decided to replace it for no reason other than being proactive. Since we cruise extensively and year round, it is simply not fun to imagine losing power generation when at sea. While I always carry a back up alternator, I know it takes about 30 minutes to change it, and doing this while tossing in a sea is unpleasant. It's true the diesel doesn't need the alternator to run, but in winter we are running our electric boat heater, and navigation equipment, and lights and even with our good size house battery bank we would pretty quickly drop below the necessary voltage. All this to say, I'd rather replace mine before it fails on me. 

So I go to DB electrical and got another Mando Alternator For Delco Marine 20104, 982364, 18-5951, 18-5957 63 AMP Alternators/; ADR0106. It was $87. They are marine rated and protected from ignition. 

Took no time at all to replace, and the one I swapped out became my new backup. Lickity spit, and now my mind can gloss over the alternator for the next 10 years or so as I scan for things to do! 

No comments: