Tuesday, February 21, 2023

President's Day weekend escape

 Forecast high winds kept us from hopping over to Victoria so we stayed close to home and our sheltered waters in San Juan Channel and returned to Jones. It was a lovely and benign weekend. Didn't get to the anchorage on the north side until darkness. It was about nautical twilight when we pulled in and it was a strange experience to anchor there without light. No problem. 

Just a sunset scene looking north from Jones




Sunday we enjoyed hiking all around, playing frisbee and climbing trees. Being feral. 

The Cubic Mini stove continues to delight us. It keeps the cabin 70-75F when it is 35-40 outside. Using highly compressed sawdust logs without wax is our approach. You can get them here in the Salish Sea from a local company. Incredible energy density. 

Where's Waldo?

East side


Played some cribbage, remembering how. Reading books. Sleep from 9-8. Boat time. 

Aeolus is in fine shape. Clean prop and bottom. Just changed the oil. Filled up with Renewable diesel I go down to PDX to acquire in 5 gallon buckets. She's in good shape and getting ready for a return to Desolation Sound this summer. Can't wait! 

2 comments:

Don said...

Hi Brian, I read your post on replacing your window that you wrote back a number of years back. well, I am replacing mine now but upon removing them I realize that the Frame is not flat. when I place the window on a flat surface it I can rock it from one corner to the other, its about 1/2" off so I cannot see how I can use glass with out it breaking when I tighten the frame down. Maybe it is the model year I have the is different from yours! Any Thoughts?
thank you, Don

Brian W. said...

Yes, this is only true on the front windows. At least with mine you can still snug them down enough and with a bead of good butyl rubber it works fine. You can also build up that side with a wedge or seam of epoxy thickened with something, which I've thought of doing. Not motivated enough since it works without it. Who are you using for your windows?