Sunday, October 22, 2023

An ode to stainless welding wire on boats

 For many years I've kept a bundle of stainless welding wire on Aeolus to use as locking mechanisms for the turnbuckles instead of rings or other contrivances. But honestly, I find them just as useful as long stiff bits of steel to do other things. I've installed a new chartplotter on Aeolus, an Axiom +, and this required snaking new wires down the binnacle to the power connection. Because of the obstructions and holes and many obstacles, it is impossible to just let gravity do the trick. 

Stainless welding wire

This is where the welding wire does the job perfectly. I can just tape the wiring harness to the welding wire, and then pull it down the route I need it to go. On this job, I actually had to tape two of the wires together since it was a longer distance than one of them. The job would be either impossible or a serious pain in the ass without this welding wire. With it, it's easy and fast. 

Takes up no space, and is there when needed. Love the stuff. 



No comments: