Monday, July 23, 2012

Spencer Spit, Lopez Island weekend-Prepping for trip north to Quadra

With Amy and the boys away on a Mom/Sons backpacking trip with a few of her girlfriends, there was nothing to be done except to escape up to the islands and join Aeolus for some sort of adventure. As much for a change of pace as for the beauty of the spot, I chose to head over to Spencer Spit. It would also allow me to go on a much longer run on scenic Lopez roads as I am training for the Bellingham marathon these days.

The trip from Friday Harbor takes about 80 minutes, more or less. Saturday was gorgeous and warm, and I joined about 30 other boats anchored on the northern side of the spit. Before getting there however, I was able to raise sail in that amazing inland sea and feel the joy of wind on sails. That particular area bounded by Orcas, Lopez, Shaw and Blakely, is the single largest body of water within the San Juan Islands and to me it resembles a large lake. A lake of saltwater. And it happens to have the most consistent winds as you can always expect a breeze going up or down Eastsound.
Close reaching toward Blakely

I rigged my jacklines before leaving the slip in Friday Harbor and raised sail once I rounded Upright Head on Lopez. The wind was only 10-15 knots, but enough for Aeolus to lean over and get into a nice groove. Ahhh, what a feeling.



After I had anchored on Lopez I went ashore and went for a run across the island to Lopez Village. For Lopez, the village was bustling. For anywhere else, it was dead. Having spent so much time on Lopez in the winter and off season, it is always striking to see the village full of people and the shops all open. I ran for about 80 minutes through the most fragrant and verdant countryside. Just nirvana.

Sunday dawned cold and cloudy and so I pulled up the anchor and started my journey home in the drizzle. While at Lopez I did all sorts of little maintenance projects to make sure she is as ready as possible for the long journey north I take this next weekend.

On Thursday night I begin the voyage from Friday Harbor up to Quadra Island. If you follow this blog and see me along the way, give me a shout! I've met the greatest people through this blog and many live in BC.


No comments: