Sunday, July 8, 2012

Stuart Island Summers

Got away this weekend for a trip to Stuart Island and was shocked to remember that it is actually a very popular place in the summer time. Throughout the year we journey to Stuart for wild solitude, and find it empty of people and full of beauty from October to May. But on this trip, I turned the corner into Reid Harbor to discover that the entirety of the harbor was filled with boats, from one end to the other. Reid is large enough to handle an armada, but it was nevertheless quite a sight to see. My rough count totaled over 100 boats! Later that night, I wondered across the isthmus and counted 50 boats in Prevost without being able to see the entire harbor. So between the two, there were over 150 boats visiting Stuart this weekend! My gosh.

Although we love the quiet of the place the rest of the year, there is something appropriate and festive about all the people in summer. On my walk out to the lighthouse I must have passed twenty people, and at Turn Point itself, there were several dozen.

It is worth noting that the historical museum at Turn Point is officially open and they have done a fantastic job of gathering photos and artifacts to tell the story. There is even a narrated video you can watch for free.


This entire weekend was hot and sunny, as everyone here in the Salish Sea area knows. It has a stupefying effect on us. A measure of deep relaxation and release of winter tension that literally gives me the sensation of melting. It is the dry, as much as the hot that does it. And by hot I mean it was 75 and sunny, which feels like 95 to us. And 75 is all the heat I ever need to feel, thank you, and no, I am not native to the NW, but hail from the heated inferno of LA and never wish for that again. It takes several weeks of this sort of sunny, hot and dry weather for me to stop feeling nervous about not wearing my fleece jacket or bringing my warm hat.

I had to motor there and back, and wouldn't you know I fought current going both ways at Spieden. You can just about guarantee yourself you will fight current in Spieden or New Channel, no matter when you get there, it is some conspiracy of Neptune against boats in this area.

I dove on Aeolus to scrape a few barnacles off the prop and waxed the hull stripe on both sides for her to look her best this summer. I cleaned this and examined that, and generally went though mental checklists to ensure she is ready for the full summer of sailing she has in store. And it all starts in just a few weeks!

No comments: